Worry, Fear, and Anxiety are things each one of us struggles with at some point in our lives. Here are the best Bible verses I’ve found to give you comfort and assurance when you’re worried, anxious, or afraid.
This year has brought many reasons to be concerned. It seems like every month we see or hear something new or troubling – the Coronavirus, shutdowns, riots, the elections, unemployment, family troubles, medical issues, etc. And, these things can make us anxious, worried and paralyzed with fear. Plus, they keep us from living joy-filled lives.
Thankfully, the Lord offers us solutions and promises for when we are worried, anxious, and afraid through His Bible verses. And, if we believe His promises and trust Him to take care of our every need, we will find peace and freedom from these negative feelings.
I pray these Bible verses will touch your heart and give you the hope and peace you are searching for.
The Best Bible Verses for When You Are Worried and Anxious
The first set of Bible verses below are about Worry and Anxiety. The truth is we worry way too much! These Bible verses can help you stop worrying about everything.
1 Peter 5:7
Surrender all your worries to him, because he cares for you. FBV
“Don’t let your minds be anxious. Trust in God, trust in Me as well. FBV
25) “That’s why I’m telling you not to worry about your life. Don’t worry about what to eat, or what to drink, or what clothes to put on. Isn’t life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26) Look at the birds—they don’t sow or reap or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren’t you worth more than they are? 27 Who of you by worrying can add a minute to your life? FBV
Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression, But a good word makes it glad. NKJV
41) “Martha, Martha,” the Lord replied, “you’re worried and upset about all this. 42) But only one thing is really necessary. Mary has chosen the right thing, and it shall not be taken away from her.” FBV
6) Don’t worry about anything, but take everything to God in prayer, explaining your requests to him and thanking him for all he does. 7) Then the peace that comes from God, which is better than we can ever imagine, will keep your hearts and minds protected in Christ Jesus. FBV
So don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow can worry about itself. There’s already enough evil in every day. FBV
24) Look at the ravens. They don’t sow or reap, they don’t have any storerooms or barns, but God feeds them. And you’re far more valuable than birds! 25) Can you add an hour to your life by worrying about it? 26) If you can’t do anything about such small things, why worry about the rest? 27) Think of the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work, and they don’t spin thread for clothes, but I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory was as beautifully dressed as one of them. 28) “So if God clothes the fields with such beautiful flowers, which are here today but gone tomorrow when they are burned in a fire to heat an oven, how much more will God clothe you, you who have so little trust! 29) Don’t be concerned about what you’re going to eat or drink—don’t worry about it. 30) These are all things that people in the world worry about, but your Father knows you need them. FBV
The Best Bible Verses for Overcoming Fear
The other day, as I was reading the book of Mark, it occurred to me that the answer to fear is trust. I’d like to share with you what I discovered in these two chapters of Mark.
In the fourth chapter of Mark, Jesus and the disciples are on a boat in the sea of Galilee. Jesus is asleep when a terrible storm arrives. The disciples immediately become terrified. They rush to Jesus and wake him, crying out, “Teacher, don’t you care we are about to drown?” Jesus arises and tells the sea to be still, and the sea immediately calms. Then Jesus turns to the disciples and asks them in verse 40, “Why are you so frightened? Haven’t you learned to trust me?
Again, fear and trust appears in chapter five, when a leader of the synagogue asks Jesus to heal his very ill, young daughter. But, before Jesus can arrive at the man’s house, the little girl dies. The synagogue leader tells Jesus that it is too late, his daughter is dead.
Mark 5:36 says, But Jesus paid no attention to what they said. He told the synagogue leader, “Don’t be afraid, just trust in me.”
Jesus then walks into the room where the dead girl lies and brings her back to life.
Trust or Fear is the choice we must make. We can choose to focus on fear, and the what-if’s in life, or we can choose to put our trust in God, the one who has made everything on this earth and has the power to take care of any and every problem we may have.
The choice is up to each one of us. Will you choose to Fear or Trust?
7) “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, And whose hope is the Lord. 8) For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, Which spreads out its roots by the river, And will not fear when heat comes; But its leaf will be green, And will not be anxious in the year of drought, Nor will cease from yielding fruit. NKJV
“Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.“ NKJV
Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You. NKJV
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” NKJV
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. NKJV
The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? NKJV
“For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand, Saying to you, ‘Fear not, I will help you.” NKJV
The fear of man brings a snare, But whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe. NKJV
He will not be afraid of evil tidings; His heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. NKJV
That’s why we can confidently say, “The Lord is the one who helps me, so I won’t be afraid. What can anyone do to me?” FBV
Say to those who are fearful-hearted, “Be strong, do not fear! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, With the recompense of God; He will come and save you.” NKJV
1 John 4:18
Where there is love there can be no fear. God loves us completely, and this love drives all our fears away. If we do fear, it’s because we fear being punished, and this shows that we have not been fully remade by the completeness of God’s love. FBV
2 Timothy 1:7
God didn’t give us a spirit that makes us fearful, but a spirit of power and love and good sense. FBV
Bible Verses on Peace for When You’re Worried, Anxious, or Afraid
When we choose to trust God with our problems and let go of the worry, anxiety, and fear, a fantastic thing happens. We receive peace—an overwhelming peace, a peace that passes all understanding.
And with this peace, we can experience joy, knowing that no matter what happens, it’s going to be okay. Our Lord has got it all under control.
“Peace I leave you; my peace I’m giving you. The peace I give you is nothing like what the world gives. Don’t let your minds be anxious, and don’t be afraid.” FBV
I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. NKJV
2 Thessalonians 3:16
Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always in every way. The Lord be with you all. NKJV
I hope these Bible Verses for when you’re worried, anxious, or afraid will be a comfort for you and bring you peace. Do you have a Bible verse that helps you in times of trouble? Please let me know in the comments below.
Scriptures used in this post:
NKJV – Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
FBV – Free Bible Version – Copyright © 2018 Dr. Jonathan Gallagher. Released under Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivatives, License 4.0
Leave a Reply